Pages

Sunday, 30 June 2013

Shuttering Steps

Back on the swimming pool this weeks to build the form work for the steps into the pool.
The finished steps

Building the underside of the steps. There needs to be a void underneath for duct work

A side view of the shutters. I enjoyed putting this together as it's only the inside measurements that are critical


My work area was not great!  It was raining and the layer of sand we put down to protect the floor slab stuck to all my tools.
A picture showing some of the bracing for the strings and the two tie bars holding both sides to each other

The completed stutters. There is two layers of steel mesh tied together inside the form work
We mixed the concrete by hand. Here's Neil and Richard levelling off and vibrating the concrete

The completed stairs in the pools with the side shutters off
Finished job. We'll remove the underside shutters on Monday
Stripping the shutters off yesterday I was pleased with how these stairs turned out. I'm just looking forward to when we've got some water in the pool and I get to try them out for real!

Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Radiator Bench

I finished off a bench over a radiator today.
 made out of sapele with storage underneath, it finishes off the porch nicely. It's going to have a dark stain applied to it and a brass socket where I've left the plastic back box.
The end section slides up to allow access to the soil pipe behind and the wire to the socket

Storage at one end, ideal for shoes etc. The other side lifts up to allow access to the radiator

Testing it out. Complete with Cheesy grin!
Quite pleased with this little project. It goes well with the feel of the room (the expensive tiles on the floor and the limestone window sills) and it's one of the first things people will see when they walk into this grand house.

Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Shuttering For Footings

Had a good day today, something a little bit different from the final fitting we're doing in the house, building shuttering form work for the footings of the swimming pool.
 I can't take credit for all of this, as I've only worked on it one day, but it was good to be working out in the sunshine. I quite like shuttering, although I've not done much of it, I find it interesting to build the inverse of things to make the concrete look right when the shutters are removed.

We made sure we put in plenty of props as the weight of concrete can be surprising, I'm looking forward to seeing how it all stands up to the concrete pour we've got on Thursday.
I love the variety of work you have  to be able to do as a carpenter.

Sunday, 2 June 2013

Fitting Brass Ironmongery

I won't say how much these door handles cost but lets just say they're expensive.
When fitting brass ironmongery like this you need to make sure you take your time and use the right tools for the job.
 All screw holes need to be marked then piloted with a twist bit slightly smaller than the screw (in this case 3mm), brass screws are generally pretty soft and have a habit of braking or rounding off. Your screw driver also needs to be the right size for the slot and they should be tighten by hand, a drill or impact driver is too unwieldy for this type of ironmongery as a single slip can scratch it or wreck the screw.
I normally spray the mechanism with a little silicone lubricant before putting it together, as I figure it will be probably be the last time anyone has it apart in a long while and it should make operation smoother.
When fitted and all tighten up it should work with a positive action and if it's solid brass like this one then it should also look rather good!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...