Sorry I've not posted on this blog for a few weeks (I've been busy having more children!) So it's meant I've slowed down on the work front a little bit.
I have, however, just completed this shelving unit for a friend/customer and I'm rather pleased with the result.
The brief was to make up blocks in tetris style shapes and have a unit where all the blocks could be rearranged if you wanted to. Unusually I worked with the customer on this project and we got on like a house on fire.
|The first step was to construct the bottom storage unit that would support all the blocks. We made sure this was really strong as there was to be a fair bit of weight above it.|
|The first blocks we made were in MDF. Once we made a few we decided that achieving a good finish was going to be a problem so we decided to switch our material to WBP ply, leaving the cut edges exposed.|
|The first unit we made like this looked good so we set up a mini production line|
|We made a total of 14 blocks, all joined together with biscuit joints and a PU glue|
|Starting to stack the blocks in the unit. They were all made with the measurement 265mm as the standard "unit" size, so that it's completely interchangeable|
|Brian using a homemade beeswax polish to finish the shelves. This picture gives a good idea of how big the units are.|
|The completed unit with storage cupboards underneath|
|The completed unit|
|Completely interchangeable and a really good fit|
|Three sets of cupboards under the tertis blocks make really useful storage. These doors will be painted white.|
|We made the doors and hung them on kitchen hinges so it gives a clean finish when they're all shut|
|Some interesting patterns|
I'm lucky in my job that I enjoy what I do, but when I get a project like this I enjoy it even more. I've built some amazing things over the years but this is pretty near the top of the list!
I've still got a few more projects to do in this house so watch this space!