Pages

Sunday, 30 March 2014

3 Simple Green Oak Frames

I had the job of making three oak frames this week. They were quite simple, two were simple sides and a top and the other frame had a middle upright in it. The timber I used was large though and the one was 6.250m long and 250mmx250mm, some quite heavy stuff!
 As the timber was so heavy this meant that I couldn't test any of the mortise and tenons so I had to make sure I knew they'd fit before we lifted them into place.
My stack to timber to work with

Cutting the tenons

Mortising the largest timber. The mortises were through mortises so I had to bore down from both sides.

My slightly damp work area

Adding the pins to the bottom of the oak to make sure it located properly on the concrete slab.

The first, smallest frame in.

Second frame

The third and largest frame. We lifted this in with straps and the 360 digger.

Considering I couldn't test the joints I was happy with the results.

Good tight joints are what I like to see.
Once we'd lifted all the frames into place I was quite relieved at how well they'd fitted! There is nothing worse when there is a group of you fitting your work if it doesn't go together well!
These beams will get sanded up and oiled before we're finished

Sunday, 23 March 2014

Cellar Trap Door

This is a job from a few weeks ago.
I had to build a substantial trap door for a cellar.
 The customer wanted it so that it could be left down for most of the time and the room used like a cupboard, but good access for the cellar when needed.
 I used some planed 6x2 timber for strength, adding a chamfer around all the edges so it gave it a traditional look. The hinges were brass, chopped in to be flush with the surface and a "bar" catch at the top to hold it open when you wanted  to go up and down the stairs.
A relatively simple project that with the addition of a few things, like chamfers and brass fittings, looked really good when it was finished.

Saturday, 15 March 2014

Fitted Cupboards

Over the last two days I have been building two fitted cupboards either side of a fireplace for a customer.
The brief was that they were to look traditional, meet her budget and be build in a relatively short time so that her office wasn't out of action for too long.
We settled on building the carcases out of 18mm MDF to keep costs down and have the book shelves in 25mm ply for strength.
 The walls either side of the fireplace were massively out of level and square so it took a bit of time to level it all up. I then started to build the units i n place before adding the sides and the shelves above
First unit nearly built

All the beading to hide the edges of the MDF and ply



Simple MDF doors that will look really effective when painted up

Lots of space in each unit

The book shelves are 300mm deep to accept to rows of small books

The finished units - difficult to get far enough back to take a good picture I'm afraid!
It took me two very long days to fit these two cupboards but I'm really pleased with how they turned out in the end. I've asked the customer to send me a picture when they are painted and full of books so watch this space!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...