Thursday nights are turning nights.
I'm in my third term of wood turning lessons with an excellent tutor Chris Eagles. I started properly at the beginning of this year and now, with the help of these lessons, I can turn to a reasonable standard and quite quickly. Nothing too complicated yet though but its good for present making and hopefully I will pick up some restoration work from it.
The Thursday just gone we were given a lump of "green" timber (unseasoned and fell that week due to the heavy winds we've been having) to turn with. We were then shown how to turn a goblet and told to make our own. I tired to keep the natural bark edge on mine but unfortunately a snatch of the chisel took most of it off!
For the piece to dry without splitting it has to be turned to the same thickness so it dries at the same speed. To gauge how thick it is we used a light aimed in the middle of the piece, when the light shines through evenly then it is all the same thickness. (I'll get some more pictures next time I make one).
Then all we had to do was put it in the microwave to dry it out, but more about that another time.